Friday, September 08, 2006

The Pope is wrong. I am not.

You may have heard that in the Texas Legislature, they call me Sharon Killer, but on my own court my nickname is Mother Superior. I like both nicknames. I understand where they both come from. I am quiet, studious, diligent, and generally closemouthed (until I discovered the Internet lol). I am a conservative Catholic on a mission. One of my staffers had it right, saying "She believes she's doing the work of God." I am Catholic, but I think I know what God wants more than the Pope does. I don't have a lot of respect for the views of Catholic leaders on the death penalty.

In his encyclical "Evangelium Vitae" (The Gospel of Life) issued March 25, 1995 after four years of consultations with the world's Roman Catholic bishops, John Paul II wrote that execution is only appropriate "in cases of absolute necessity, in other words, when it would not be possible otherwise to defend society. Today, however, as a result of steady improvement in the organization of the penal system, such cases are very rare, if not practically nonexistent."

The new Catechism of the Catholic Church says: 'If bloodless means are sufficient to defend human lives against an aggressor and to protect public order and the safety of persons, public authority must limit itself to such means, because they better correspond to the concrete conditions of the common good and are more in conformity to the dignity of the human person.'"

Good thing there isn't any blood using the method of lethal injection. They just kind of go to sleep. And I control who sleeps in Texas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home